How to Change the Padlock Combination
When you get a new resettable combination lock, you should change the factory set combination. Most often this combination is 0-0-0-0.
Unless you're a security products specialist, you probably don’t know how to change a combination off the top of your head. Don’t worry — that’s what we’re here for! The following steps will work for most three- and four-digit locks, including models manufactured by Master Lock, Abus Lock, and more.
Take These Steps
- Enter the current combination to unlock the padlock. These steps won’t work if you have forgotten or lost your current combination.
- Once you hear the “click” that signals the lock is undone, pull up the shackle.
- Turn the shackle 90o in a clockwise rotation. If you’re having trouble figuring out which way to turn it, look for a little notch on the base of the shackle. The shackle should be hovering over this notch.
- Make sure the number dials still show the correct combination, then push down on the shackle. If the shackle doesn’t give, chances are it’s not positioned correctly.
- Change the number lock while holding down the shackle. Otherwise, your new combination won’t set.
- Let go of the shackle once you input your new combination.
- Turn the shackle back to normal and lock it! Test your new combination to make sure it works.
Follow These Tips
Changing a combination lock is not rocket science, but that doesn’t mean you can’t mess up. These steps are so easy that sometimes people rush through them. This is the easiest way to make a mistake. Just slow down and take your time. We’re confident you’ll get it right when you do.
If at First You Don’t Succeed…
Try again! Just restart the process from the beginning. Follow the directions carefully and don't rush.
Do You Have a Special Case?
Are you stuck on a certain step? You may have a special case on your hands. Not all padlocks are built equal (otherwise, they would be pretty ineffective), so this is completely normal. When you’re not sure what you’re doing wrong or how your special padlock works, don’t panic. Google the brand and model of your padlock and instructions on how to unlock it. You’ll probably find what you’re looking for on the Internet.
Browse our extensive inventory to find the perfect lock for all your business and personal needs. Contact us with any questions or concerns.